EGLE 2022 Plankton-Algae Course
August 15, 2022
1. Explore algal characterization procedures for water treatment plant samples.
2. Become familiar with the main groups of plankton-algae that are relevant to water treatment plants.
3. Use taxonomic keys to identify plankton- algae.
August 16, 2022
1. Collect plankton- algae from two surface water bodies.
2. Identify plankton-algae from surface water samples.
3. Explain harmful algal blooms, their relationship with environmental factors, toxin production, and current progress in forecasting HABs.
August 17, 2022
1. Describe prevention and control methods to protect public health, and relevant regulations.
2. Explore case studies involving plankton-algae issues that address strategies for water professionals to manage toxins and taste/odor issues.
3. Begin to outline a monitoring plan for plankton and algae, in accordance with Source Water Assessment.
4. Begin to outline a response plan for algae control and plankton-algae emergencies.
5. Develop strategies for responding to the public about plankton-algae issues.